Ride to Dandeli




















“The only thing that makes battle psychologically tolerable is the brotherhood among soldiers. You need each other to get by.” Sabastian Junger
“I have reached Chitradurga
I have reached Dandeli
Reached Davengere” messages sent home
In-between the above message’s, was one hell of journey which had drama, action and adventure.
Dandeli was my first overnight ride, for a matter of fact it was the first time I would be riding over 250 km in a single day. The ride was a psychological battle since I know I do not have an iron back and would run the risk of injuring my lower back.
The constant reminders from Vinay regarding the expectations and the stamina required were not helping but his concerns were genuine but nonetheless he was freaking me out.
As we were waiting at the assembly point, we get a call informing of an accident the atmosphere quickly changed from excitement to anxiety, wasting no time the Captain and the Sweep departed for the spot while rest of us waited for the other riders. Running through our mind was just one thought is the fellow rider safe. The rider was safe there were minor damages to the bike, but luckily a catastrophe was averted and the truck driver was let off with a stiff warning and a fine. Before you knew a quick recap of the ride plan was being shared and Thump! Thump! Thump! The bullets were roaring.

First stop was a small tea point a few km ahead of Sira, a hot cup of tea to energize and refresh our mind, we were now prepared for the ride ahead, we were soon Thumping again till we noticed a fellow rider was struggling, as his machine was not performing.
My first thought I hope nothing happens to my Birdie as just two days prior the ride I had to service it again. We tried everything from changing the pipes to the spark plugs nothing worked and then the team responded to the paucity of time and skill, now we had a rider cruising at 100 km with stationed wheels on top of a tempo.
The ride from Chitradurga was the starting point of the journey for me whether it was to map the town in search for a suitable mechanic or to ride along with a fellow rider who was still on top of a tempo as we took his bike for service. As I Thumped to Davangere, the deserted road allowed me to push the Birdie and yes she lived up to her name flying through the wind. However, all along, a beam of light followed us. It was another thumping bullet belonging to a rider who was there to ensure our safety. The bikes and the riders formed an instant bond, a bond of trust that let us to riding alone on the day of return 90 min to sunrise we rode through an intimidating pitch-dark forest with sounds that could freeze your blood. Oh we were shaken, at many instances whether it was hushing sound of the trees or spotting a big snake on the road fortunately it was dead, I still do not know how I would have responded had it been alive.

We successfully joined the rest of the group in time at Ranebennur, what followed were moments of pure ecstatic pleasure hearing the constant Thump and watching the bikes aligning into formations which at many points made me want to stand up and clap. Once we crossed Tadas I realized by back brake was not responding 50 km to go some quick tips and my rider instinct safely got me to our resort.
The journey had many moments, but the few that stand out for me are the solo rides in the forest one at noon and the other before dawn where I navigated my way through various corners in day and night from admiring the scenic beauty of the forest and at time nerve chilling feeling of being all alone well aware that the beam was not far behind. From a serious conversation about the economy, the internet to learning how to use a Kada to open a bottle cap and to relaxing in a stream of water or just ending every night among st great company burning some dry leaves.
This was a ride where I made new friends, discovered my passion for riding most of all it was a ride to conquer my fears.
Thank you all who made it happen, let’s keep Thumping!!!

Saurabh Seth

Images courtesy IBRMC - Bangalore
Re-Published from http://srbseth.blogspot.in/2015/04/the-only-thing-that-makes-battle.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Make a resolution

Work From Home, not enjoying the experience!

The journey so far