Ride to Ooty with IBR


On 13th June 80 Royal Enfield bikes and 100 biking enthusiasts  left to Ooty from Bengaluru to celebrate the 3rd anniversary of our riding club, Indian Bull Riders (IBR).


 Just about a year ago, I joined IBR, attended my first meet at Chaipatty, where I heard Dilip sir talk about his experience of riding through Leh and ladakh.
But what made me feel that this is a group that I can be a part of was the strong value system, I observed the camaraderie amongst members, humility and of course focus on safety and discipline.
Ooty was all of the above exemplified, because of certain personal commitments I had not signed up for the ride, it was only when Harsh bhai told me, “kaake achi ride hogi, miss mat karee” (I am paraphrasing here) his words stuck with me and the next thing you know I informed Abdul bhai that I shall transfer the money EOD.
(Darshan, Harsh bhai, Pratima H; handing out IBR goodies)
As you all know you can never really sleep for 6 hours before the ride the excitement kills you and brings in a sense of restlessness. Similar was the case with me.

The morning gathering at NICE road junction comprised of usual things, being briefed of the ride plan, the captain, sweep and marshal. We shared our morning pleasantries and the bull’s began to roar.
We had a quick stop for tea near Mandya and continued riding till we reached the breakfast point on Mysore ORR. We quickly tanked ourselves up and our machines.

The road was bad until we reached Bandipur. Single lane; horrendous driving by tempo and trucks and of course, being aware of the fact that we are riding with a group and to ensure that you can see the beam following you.
I usually do not overtake from the left and I never overtake on a blind curve. At one such instance, I overtook from the left, and at the next stop was very gently told by a fellow rider not to repeat the same.
I knew I should not have over taken from the left and very smartly replied saying “sir ek hi bar tha” and his reply was “bhai accident, ek hi bar main ho sakta hai”, which is true, his concern was genuine and it was nice to know I was riding in good company.
Post reaching the venue we were all exhausted, lazy bum’s like me quickly tucked into the blanket and slept while the more enthusiastic folks went around site seeing visited the botanical garden, Doddabetta and a few more places.
One thing I had to do this trip was take back something home, since I was getting a lot of flak for coming home empty handed on all my prior outings.
So Harsh bhai, Manu bhai, myself and another rider moved into the city and of course I bought chocolates, we had steamy fresh Momo’s, drank hot chocolate and rode back to YWCA. We quickly moved to the hall where Abdul bhai was sharing his experience with IBR and he invited the same gentleman I was with a few minutes back who happened to be Jitender bhai.
To put things in perspective I knew Jitendar bhai. Abdul bhai keeps talking about him and how he was responsible for starting IBR, I had not seen him and while I was out with him, he was so down to earth, for someone who founded IBR.

Hearing Prem sir, Abdul bhai and Jitender bhai speak, it was evident they see each other as a family, later in the night I saw Bijju bhai talking to Prem sir seeking his guidance and at some time during that night I realised I have accepted this group as an extended family.
Oh I was so emotional but thanks to Vinay bhai, Harsh bhai, Pratima H and others for calming me down and drawing some sense into me.
It was an amazing experience. I met many new riders, strengthened my bond with fellow members, who were probably just acquaintances last time and are friends today. As I continue riding and spending time with them we will form a bond sealed by time.

I would specially like to thank all the admins, organisers for planning things so diligently, Shubit bhai for riding behind me and stopping while I adjusted my sack bag, you will definitely see me with a good saddle bag on our next ride. Parag for the great company you are. Rohit bhai wishing you all the best, hopefully I will see you before you leave for Delhi.



Until we ride again,
Saurabh Seth.
(All images courtesy members of IBR)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Make a resolution

Work From Home, not enjoying the experience!

The journey so far